These colorful ladybugs were one of the first felt sets I made and will be the perfect addition to your Spring Time storytelling or circle time programs! I wrote 3 different songs to go along with them to practice counting, colors and rhyming! They are all available on my Youtube Channel and lyrics are in the download and below! Check out the instructions below to make your own set or download the full instruction and pattern here!
To complete this set, you will need the following supplies:
- Aleene’s tacky glue or Mini hot glue gun
- Sharp Fabric Scissors
- Sharp Microtip scissors
- Freezer paper
- 6 Small brad fasteners
- 12 Googly eyes
You will need the following quantities and colors of 9×12 felt sheets (letters refer to pattern parts that the colors will be used on):
- 3 – Black (A and B)
- 1 – Red (C)
- 1 – Orange (C and D)
- 1 – Yellow (C and E)
- 2 – Green (C and H)
- 1 – Blue (C and G)
- 1 – Purple (C)
- 1 – White (F)
Instructions & Patterns
- Print PDF patterns onto cardstock and cut out;
- Trace patterns onto freezer paper using a pencil;
- Iron freezer paper onto craft felt with waxy-side down and parchment-side up on medium heat;
- Use sharp fabric scissors to cut through freezer paper and felt together;
- Gently remove freezer paper from felt and continue with remaining pieces.
Clouds, Leaf and Sun
- Place cut felt pieces aside;
- Parts F-Cloud, G-Cloud and H-Leaf do not require additional assembly;
- Glue E-Sun to the center of D-Sun to create your sun.
- Gather one Part A-Body, the red Part C-Wings, one Part B-Spot and one brad fastener together;
- Fold red Part C-Wings in half and cut down the center so you end up with 2 equal halves for wings;
- Place both halves on top of Part A-Body with the tops partially overlapping;
- Use sharp microtip scissors to cut small hole where wings overlap;
- Hold pieces together and place one brad fastener inside hole and open fasteners on the back to secure it;
- Glue one Part B-Spot onto the wings;
- Glue two Googly eyes to the face of the ladybug;
- Repeat with five remaining ladybugs in rainbow order: Red-1 spot, Orange-2 spots, Yellow-3 spots, Green-4 spots, Blue-5 spots, Purple-6 spots;
- Practice spreading wings and closing wings.
Place all pieces on flannel board and practice songs. Enjoy!
All content is copyrighted and should not be shared online or in a public forum without attributing content to both “The Flannel Librarian” and “theflannellibrarian.com”. Cannot be reproduced for commercial purposes.